Hello everyone. Today I thought I would talk about a topic that has been on my mind for quite some time: unsupportive people (family members, boyfriends/girlfriends, etc...) and roller derby. Though it varies for everyone, at least in my case, I have one VERY unsupportive family member, a regular Negative Nancy (I shall refer to them as Nancy from here on out in this post). When I told Nancy that I was interested in skating and doing derby eventually, she seemed fine with it, but as the months went on, and it was clear that my derby obsession wasn't just a passing fancy, she got very antagonistic whenever I would mention anything having to do with roller skating or roller derby and would quickly try to change the subject or simply sit and be huffy while rolling her eyes until I was finished. She never outwardly says that she hates derby, but I can feel it in her actions, and her downright disregard for something she knows is important to me.
I find myself avoiding having conversations with her because it's hard not to talk about derby and skating when that's what I am interested in and doing with a lot of my time right now. I so badly want to talk about skating but whenever she is in the room I find myself staying silent for I know she will become rude if I mention it. I try explaining to her that roller derby, while dangerous, will be good for me and about all of the amazing women that I have met as a result of my interest in derby, but she doesn't seem to care. I realize she's probably just worried about my safety, but I get so sad when she shuts me down. I try hard not to let her get to me, but since she is someone I am very close to, it's hard to ignore it when she is so unsupportive of my hobby. Does anyone else seem to be in a similar situation? Comment below with any advice or tidbits! Thanks for listening guys! :)
Until next time,
Watch Emma Skate......and Skate!
No comments:
Post a Comment