Hi everyone! I've been having a very good week this week, mostly because I recently met some derby girls at a roller rink that I've started to become friends with. Being that I am a complete newbie to roller derby and given the fact that my rec session won't be starting up for a while, I thought I'd get some skate time in by going to a local roller rink. The group of girls I've met are great, there are a few newbies like me, so we can learn things together, and then there are a few trying to make it to boot camp that are more experienced and fun to learn from.
Obviously once you make it to boot camp and hopefully get drafted, your team will become like your family and you'll share close bonds of friendship. However, for those girls (like me) who aren't quite there yet, and are still waiting on their rec session to start, I highly recommend going out and meeting some other derby girls. Hang out at the local roller rinks, try and find out where they hang out, pluck up your courage and try to talk to them. It's really great to have some girls you can call up to go skating with or just hang out with and talk derby. Who knows, you might meet someone who's looking to join the same league that you are, and at least for me, knowing at least one person when starting something new really boosts my confidence. The message of the day, as cliche as it might seem, is to just be yourself and to put yourself out there. In my experience, derby girls are very accepting, but tend to be very honest and direct with their words and feelings and often don't care for pretenses.
And finally, if you are like me, who tends to be the one who asks friends to go out rather than being invited to go out, having one of my new derby friends invite me to go skating was possibly the highlight of my week!
That's all for now! Comment below if you have anything to add!
Until next time,
Watch Emma Skate....and Make New Friends!
No comments:
Post a Comment