Saturday, May 4, 2013

The Gym, Desserts, and You....

Happy Saturday all, I hope you are all doing well! As I mentioned in my first post, I won't post about roller derby all the time, so I thought I'd address something that feeds into derby. When I first considered doing roller derby, I knew I was going to have to get in better shape. And for me, like many other people, it was difficult getting started. Getting in shape isn't only about going to the gym a couple times a week, it also involves some lifestyle changes as well.

First off, let's talk about the gym. For those of us not lucky enough to have a home gym, getting a gym membership is oftentimes the best option since it's usually pretty cheap and opens up a lot of opportunities to try out different classes and equipment. For me, the hardest part is getting myself to the gym, I'm great once I get there, but just the physical act of changing my clothes, getting my gear together and hauling myself to the gym is a task in and of itself. Part of the reason I'm so in love with gym memberships is that I get the opportunity to try new things: Zumba, yoga, aqua workouts, Bosu fitness, weights, etc..it's great help in keeping the body proportionate (i.e.  not having quads of steel but floppy noodle arms on top, which is bad for balance). I'd also recommend getting a personal trainer if you aren't quite sure what you should be doing in terms of a workout. Now, that being said, let's touch on lifestyle choices....

Besides FOOD, which I will touch on in a moment, getting the proper amount of sleep and drinking water can make a huge difference. Water is just good for you all around and keeps the body going, so drink some! And sleep....you know that feeling, the one where you wake up in the morning and are SO hungry that you feel like you'll never be full no matter how much you eat??? Yeah, that's because of sleep deprivation. Sleep deprivation messes with your leptin levels (leptin is an appetite-suppressing hormone), which causes you to feel hungrier when you wake up. Do your leptin levels a favor and get those 8+ hours!

And finally, FOOD! The whole diet/eat better thing is really just a mind game with yourself. It's about being motivated and having the self-control to say no to that delicious-looking chocolate chip cookie. It's about making smart choices. It can sometimes be the simplest things, like switching out beef in a recipe for a leaner meat like chicken, pork or even tofu. Eating more fruits and veggies and cutting down on the carbs. Those little changes can make a big difference. Now, if you are a dessert-lover like me, and you really need something sweet to round out your meal, here are some of my recommendations: Skinny Cow ice cream, those deliciously chocolate cones are only 120 lovely calories each! Dove dark chocolate, I love these little guys because they satisfy the chocolate-craving and they're healthy too (they have antioxidants and supposedly support memory health), plus they have those fab little sayings on the inside that make you feel all warm and fuzzy. Hershey's kisses work too (plus the wrappers are recyclable). Now, to you snack lovers, I have some sage advice for you as well. With snacks, it's all about making your mind think you're eating more than you actually are. This means finding snacks that let you eat a lot of them for relatively little calories. I've also found that Quaker Rice Cakes, hot air popcorn, and goldfish snack crackers work well in this scenario. Fruits and veggies are always a winner in my book, but try adding some peanut butter, Nutella, hummus, or dressing to spice them up a bit.

I hope this advice works for you, it sure has for me! Sound off in the comment section if you have any comments, questions or other diet/exercise tricks you'd like to share! :)

Till next time, Watch Emma Skate.....and Get Fit!

No comments:

Post a Comment