Tuesday, May 21, 2013

You Like Roller Derby, Really?

Hello everyone! Since I've been posting about food for the last few posts I thought I'd write about roller derby this time. I thought I would write about something that frequently happens to me and probably to a lot of derby or wannabe-derby girls out there.

Roller derby is a sport that I've recently gotten interested in and because I've acquired what many vets call "derby rabies" where I want to talk about derby/skating with everyone and tell them how fascinating and awesome it is. Immediately after I stop talking, they get this weird look on their face and say something along the lines of, "You're such a nice girl, why would you want to play roller derby?" Now I know most of them either haven't seen roller derby since the 1970s or have never seen it period, but I can't help but feel offended when people say things like that. Because roller derby is a full-contact sport, many people automatically assume all derby girls are crass, tattooed, uber-confident, athletic, etc... but that isn't true at all. And while there certainly are those types of women in roller derby, there are many other types of women in roller derby too.

I try not to take offense, I really try. I think sometimes they just wonder why I'm attracted to roller derby in the first place. I'm sort of middle of the spectrum when it comes to thing, I'm not introverted but I'm not extroverted either, nor am I super athletic or super non-athletic. One of the great things about derby is that there is no definite "type" of person who plays, there are opportunities for every type of body and size.  I've met some derby girls who are the quietest, most unassuming people, but once they get on the track they skate like nobody's business. It's obvious that women who are confident and athletic are drawn to the sport, but that doesn't explain why there's a whole spectrum of women donning skates in hopes of making it through rookie training. I think the reason women tend to be attracted to derby is because they see those confident derby girls and want that confidence. They see roller derby as a way to become empowered, become the self-confident, fit, outgoing women that they've always wanted to be. And that's really what roller derby is all about in the end: self-confidence, athleticism, teamwork, friendship and whole bunch of other awesome stuff. And in terms of the whole "nice" aspect, I also find that to be false as well. As I said before, there's a whole spectrum of people involved in roller derby, but based on my experience, the derby girls I've met have been some of the nicest, most helpful, and honest people that I've had the pleasure of meeting. So to me, "nice" doesn't even begin to cover it. Skaters treat each other like family, and are there for each other in good times and bad, I'd call it a blessing to have people like that in my life. So when people say things like that to me, I simply reply, "I like roller derby for the same reason you like golf/fishing/tennis, etc...it's fun, it makes me feel confident and empowered, and most of all, it makes me happy."

Until next time....Watch Emma Skate...and be Happy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment