Thursday, November 21, 2013

Anything She Can Do I Need to Do Better?

Hello all, it's been a few weeks since I blogged, I've been busy busy busy like a bumble bee. Between school, derby, and other general life requirements, I haven't had a lot of time for myself, so I thought I'd blog today about a couple of things that have been on my mind after I get done with derby practice each week.
One of the things I've had a hard time doing is not to comparing myself to the other skaters in my session. Sure, I can spout on about how in theory I won't do it, but in reality, it's not that easy.  Humans naturally compare themselves to others, they compare themselves to their peers based on the clothes they are wearing, the money they make, the place they live, the job they have, so it's not surprising that it happens in derby. I love derby. I love going to practice and learning new things, however, it's really hard not to feel bad when some of the other girls are getting things right away and I'm not. The coaches are always telling us not to compare ourselves to the other girls because they may be at a different place than us, or have skills that help them progress faster that we may or may not be aware of. This is the case in my session, there are girls who've figure skated, played hockey, speed skated or just plain recreational roller skated for years. And those people pick skills up like a game of jacks. I'm supportive when they accomplish something but  can't help but feel a bit inadequate inside. Sometimes it's like I have tunnel vision, a time when I chuck "don't compare your beginning to someone else's middle' straight out the window. All I see is that she can do something that I can't and it really bothers me. Is it low self-esteem? Maybe, but I don't think so. I think everyone feels this way at some point when they are learning something new, we don't like to feel vulnerable and putting ourself out there with something like derby, can sometimes be really scary. I know I need to stop feeling this way, but it may take some time. I have to remember that I will get things eventually as long as I stick to it. I'm a firm believer that if you try you can succeed. Positive mantra. Positive mantra.

This has been on my mind for a while, this and how to relax my feet when I run on my toe stops. Stupid blisters that really really hurt! If you have any advice on how you try to stop comparing yourself to others or on top stop running, sound off below! :)

Until next time,
XOXOXOXO
~Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment