I recently went back to school (yay!). The campus is nice, the professors are great, my apartment is wicked sweet (for being on-campus that is)....but not a lot going on in the friend department. Remember how I did the summer rec league session? Well, I made a TON of really great friends! However, I just moved, so they are now several states away! I did some research online and found out that they do have a rec league near me that's going to be accepting new members in the next few weeks.
Great, right? Not great. Why, you ask? This is the point of conflict I mentioned earlier. I really want to do the rec league, the skater in me demands I do the rec league. I know that I will make friends on the rec league, I know I will. The issue here is that there's also an on-campus book club that I want to join too. There is the possibility that the book club meetings may be scheduled on the same days or times as rec league practice and I really want to have some friends on-campus to do things with (like studying, hanging out, eating, etc..)The question remains: which one should I do? If I could do both, I would, but unfortunately I won't be able to swing both on top of a full load of classes and studying.
I made a Pro/Con list to help me figure this out:
Derby:
PROS:
- I make friends a lot faster in derby than I do in my everyday life, friends that I tend to like spending time with more than my non-derby friends.
- Derby feeds my skater soul and makes me happy.
- Keeps me physically active
- Makes me more confident
- I LOVE IT!
CONS:
- It's not on-campus and I don't have a car (too expensive to park)
- Dues
- Possibility of injury
- It's very likely I won't be making friends that go to school and that are on-campus
- Pressure from unsupportive family members.
Book Club:
PROS:
- Instant on-campus friendships
- No pressure from unsupportive family members
CONS:
- Less skating time
- No derby friends to go skating with
- My skills won't improve-I want to make a team so badly and only skating during summer won't be enough.
- Buying the books (they can get pricey)
- Less happiness?
So there you go. It's a tough choice. My head says to do the book club, that it'll get me the on-campus friends that I want....but my heart tells me to do derby. What do I do? I need to think long and hard about this. If you have any sage advice that you want to share, sound off below! Thanks :)
Until Next Time..........Watch Emma Make A Decision
No comments:
Post a Comment