So it's the fourth week of practice, and people have been kind of starting to get to know each other. Man, it feels like we haven't really practiced that much at all! Having gotten to know a few girls on my league very well, we do a lot of things together: we skate together, we laugh together, we joke together, and we EAT together. I try and skate a lot during the week, and more often than not, a few of my girls usually tag along, which then leads to eating dinner at this restaurant or that restaurant. Now don't get me wrong, I love skating and chatting with my teammates, that's what I go for, but I've been noticing a little weight gain since I've been eating out so much and not necessarily making the smartest choices. So since I haven't blogged about food for a while, I thought I'd tag team food and derby in this one.....so without further ado, here are my tips for attempting to eat somewhat healthy while out to eat after practice:
1) Don't eat the appetizers
I know, I know, appetizers are delicious!But they also tend to be very caloric and fill you up way before your meal even gets to the table. I have a really bad habit about this. We always order onion rings and things like that, which I then proceed to eat until I have no room for my actual main meal. Resist temptation!
2) Order a salad
Now this method isn't always as golden as it seems. It really depends on what is IN the salad that makes the difference. Look at the ingredients and make sure the salad isn't full of things like heavy ranch dressing, bacon, croutons, beans, cheese, etc....Ask for light dressing options as well. A nice salad full of leafy greens and veggies is the way to go!
3) Ask to swap chips/fries for a side salad
I freely admit that I have not been good about this. And I know fries are seriously good, but this is one easy swap that'll really make a difference. Get in those greens and cut the fat and calories!
4) Eat slowly
It's a proven fact that you'll eat less and feel fuller if you let your stomach have time to process that it's being filled with food. Plus, as and added bonus, more chat time with your friends! :)
5) Drink water
Do it. You won't feel the need to stuff yourself like a Thanksgiving turkey, plus, if you've been skating for a few hours previously, you probably need it anyway.
6) Don't order dessert or share if you must
I love dessert, LOVE IT! But it's also a step in the meal where I could potentially put away 500-600 extra calories on a piece of chocolate cake or pie. If you really want some dessert, then split it with a friend. It'll save you money to split and it'll help keep you in check.
Now again, these are just tips that I've thought up and that have been very effective when I'm in the mindset to be good about it. I'm not saying you have to follow these tips or that you can't have anything deep fried or delicious. I'm just saying that if you (like me) have noticed a little added extra poundage, take these tips into consideration.
Until Next Time......Watch Emma Eat (Healthy!) :)
No comments:
Post a Comment