There many "firsts" that we experience throughout our lives, like first word, first step, first day of school, first...well you get the picture. Last Saturday I experienced my first derby practice EVER! And man it was something that I'll never forget. For our first practice we mainly did WFTDA testing to determine whether or not we'd be a Level 1'er or a Level 2'er (Level 1'er all the way, he he). We did pace line drills, weaving drills, falls, stops, skating backwards, 27/5, just basic WFTDA skills. Now I am a new skater, like really new, so there were probably about three or four of those things that I actually knew how to do, which is fine, that's why I'm in level one, so I can learn. Now that I'm no longer a derby practice virgin. Here's some tips that I wish I'd thought of beforehand or amazingly remembered to do.
1) Know the place and time and BE ON TIME
This one seems like a no-brainer, but just imagine how it would look to the trainers were you to roll (pun intended) in fifteen minutes into testing. Not good. Not good at all. You'll be nicknamed "late girl" for the rest of the session. Just kidding :). But seriously, make a good first impression, you only get one chance!
2) Dress appropriately
If the trainers want you in specific shirt colors for drills and stuff, wear those colors! If your practice space doesn't have air conditioning, dress in layers! Don't wear your tutus or heavy shirts, or makeup, etc...It's practice so you want to be comfortable. Practice won't be fun if you're passing out from the heat!
3) Drink water. DO IT.
In fact, start hydrating a few days early. On average women should be drinking at least 2.2 L of water per day (I think for men it's around 3 L), but you should be drinking a lot more since you're at practice and you are sweating it all out. Bring a big bottle (I got a 48 oz) and set it somewhere where it's easy to reach). Hydration is very important as it keeps you at the top of your game.
4) Be positive
No one likes a Debbie Downer, so be encouraging to the other girls, cheer for them, give them a high-five when they do something cool. Be excited to be there! You may not know how to do many of the skills they test on, but be amenable to coaching, and don't let it bother you, you'll learn, that's what you're there for!
5) Be social...after practice
I have trouble following this one because I love to talk. You can chat a bit during practice, but it's really a time for everyone to focus and chatter can sometimes take away from that or waste the trainers time if they can't get everyone to quiet down. And if your teammates are going out after practice, go with them! Even if you don't drink, are dieting, or whatever, bonding is important, especially in those first few weeks. Get to know your teammates, because you might end up on a team with them one day!
6) Don't be nervous
I know, I know...easier said than done. I was nervous, but thankfully I knew one or two people already so it made it easier. If you are the nervous type, try and carpool with someone, it'll make it easier going in with someone and can ease the tension of meeting a whole new group of people. If you don't know anyone, just relax, there are probably many many people as fresh and new as you are, and derby people are pretty friendly, so don't worry.
7) Be fearless
Put yourself out there, skate fast, fall hard. Don't give up. If you fall, get right back up! You may have some resignations about certain things, but leave those fears off the track and in your car. Try your best!
Oh and bring duck tape, you'll need that to tape your name and number on your helmet! That's all I can think of for now! I'll add on if something else pops up. Shout out if you have any add-ins!
Until next time....Watch Emma Play Derby! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment